Thursday, April 21, 2011

Embrace the Camera: Center Stage

This past Sunday, our church held our AWANA closing program. This was Zack's second (and final) year of Cubbies, so it was a bittersweet night for me - knowing my oldest was soon no longer going to be a preschooler. Zack was excited to get to sing songs with his group on the "big" church stage, but the night didn't exactly go to plan.

So today I'm "embracing" the camera in a little bit of a different way. I've got a photo of me and my favorite Cubbie - but I've also got a little video to share with all of you.



The Cubbies took the stage and Zack was smack in the middle - and obviously taller than most of the kids. I knew we were in trouble when he immediately reacted to the bright lights. He didn't want to face forward because he didn't like them shining in his eyes... and then when he turned around he saw all the band instruments... Oh boy. I'll just tell you now: Zack didn't sing a single song.

Trying to explain it just doesn't quite do it justice... so I'll just go ahead and present the video evidence.


Zack's Second Year Cubbies Award Ceremony from Kristy Heilman on Vimeo.

(*NOTE* The video is a little long - but you'll get the gist after a few minutes. Also, my apologies for the 'crotch grab'...)

I know one day I'll laugh more about this, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed. He had been so excited to sing on stage - and I'd been excited to see him do it - and then things just didn't pan out. But I guess even though he wasn't singing, he was most definitely giving a performance that was very "Zack."  (Side note: Just have to give a shoutout to Zack's friend, Birdy, to his left. She is SO adorable - it's no wonder my boys adore her!)

Either way, I'm very proud of our little Cubbie. He memorized every single verse in his book this year, and we had such great conversations about what he was learning each week. So, this mommy is a little sad to see her oldest move out of preschool - but Zack is so very excited to be a "Sparky" next year. And while I'm hoping for a little more singing during his next on-stage performance, I'm trying to remember that this is a memory made and a time we'll never have back again. So, I'm just enjoying each moment as it comes. :)



Now you go Embrace the Camera!

1 comment: