Friday, February 19, 2010

This Season

Unfortunately, I’m not just talking about the weather. I’m talking about a season of life.

I’ve been reluctant to post anything in the last several days, because I don’t want anyone to think I’m seeking out sympathy or attention. I don’t want to complain. But right now I feel as though perhaps we could be an encouragement to someone else. So, here goes.

In recent days, we’ve definitely felt like things are crashing in around us. I won’t go into everything because, frankly, there’s a part of me that is afraid of making a “list.” It’s hard enough not to keep a list going in my head, and become overwhelmed. To see it all “written” down would be a bit much right now.

Last week, we found out that Josh’s Grandpa Reed had gone into a coma. He was suffering from a “brain bleed” and was sent into surgery. He came out of surgery, but did not wake up. On Wednesday, Grandpa passed away. He has had a bad heart for many years, and we are so blessed that God granted him so many more years than the doctors thought he would ever have. Grandpa and Grandma Reed spend the winter in Florida, and they were still there when this happened. We are thankful that my mother-in-law was able to get to Florida and be with her dad, mom and brothers before he passed away. They’ll be traveling back to Iowa this weekend. We’re missing Grandpa very much.

Yesterday (Thursday) I got a call from my parents letting me know my Grandma wasn’t doing well. She passed away just a couple hours later. My parents made the drive up to Western Iowa and are there now making arrangements. I’m thankful Grandma lived a long and full life. She was 91 years old.

These things alone would be enough to overwhelm. Both at once? Nearly suffocating. And unfortunately we’re struggling with other issues, as well, that would have been (are) big deals on their own. Our truck isn’t working properly and needs to be fixed. So we’ve been without a second vehicle until we can do that. Yesterday, our stove “blew up.” I went to use it to make lunch and smoke started coming out the back of it. So we’re without a stove until we can get it fixed. Unbelievable.

And that’s where I’m going to stop. I honestly can’t bear to add anything else, and don’t think I should either. But do you know something? God did not let this season of life come upon us without preparing us for it. He is so merciful. He has surrounded us with new friends from our church who are so supportive and encouraging. He has brought me into studies of His Word that have helped me grow so much in my walk with Him and learn so much more about who He is. He has brought Josh and I closer and closer as each day passes. Our God is amazing.

I want to share with you a few verses that God has used to bring me such comfort right now…

“We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. (2 Corinthians 4:8-9)

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” (Matthew 5:4)

“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” (James 1:2-4)

I’m not saying it’s easy…but we are striving each day (each MOMENT) to count this season pure joy, for we know that the testing of our faith develops perseverance – and we DO want to be complete, not lacking anything. We seek to be joyful, to pray continually, and to always give thanks. Even during THIS season. ESPECIALLY during this season.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry Kristy. But know that you are no alone in "this season". Times are hard for a lot of people right now. I think it's hardest on those of us that aren't used to having a hard time! :) Glad to see you turning to the right place for guidance and comfort. I am encouraged reading this post, makes me feel less alone in my own economic "struggles" right now. Be blessed, and thanks for blessing my day today.

    ReplyDelete