Friday, October 23, 2009

My Worst Enemy

It's me. Do you ever feel that way? I know it's true (well, except for the devil himself...)

My "bad" days are the days I get so full of SELF that I make myself miserable. Oh sure, I could give all kinds of reasons why I'm having a bad day... but the truth is, most of it has to do with me. Whether it's feeling sorry for myself, getting too wrapped up in circumstances, or just giving myself too much credit. It never fails to leave me feeling down and frustrated. I KNOW what can take that feeling of hopelessness or despair away, but what's so crazy is how hard it can sometimes be in those times to give it up...to let go...to refocus on God (instead of mySELF). And really, let's be honest, that's a form of selfishness, too. That's just me wanting to hold onto control of things...or what I perceive as "control." And while we're still being honest...sometimes we just LIKE to have a pity party. To play the victim. And we like to get a little pity from others, too. I say it 'cause I've been guilty of doing it.

Well, I don't know about you, but I don't want to keep getting trapped in this vicious cycle. I don't want to give the evil one that kind of victory over me. Especially when I know he has no power over me unless I GIVE it to him. So, I'm on a mission to dump out this overload of "self" I've got lying around... Join me, if you'd like, and we'll bury the evil one in it. ;)

Philippians 2:3-11
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

No comments:

Post a Comment