Monday, September 28, 2009

I *Do* Mourn the Wicked…

The musical, that is… ;)

wicked

Last year, I saw that ‘Wicked’ would be coming to Des Moines in October 2009. I promptly informed Josh that THAT is what I wanted for my birthday in 2009…tickets to see the show. My husband (being the awesome man that he is) bought me tickets almost as soon as they were available. Yep, he’s amazing. :)

So, it turns out the show opened in DSM in September…and Josh got me tickets for opening night…so I got my birthday present about a month early. No complaints here! :)

Josh isn’t much of a fan of musicals, so I spared him the apparent torture he would have experienced… and didn’t make him go with me. My mother-in-law was kind enough to join me and we had a blast! I also did not take this rare opportunity to dress-up for granted. I decided an “emerald green” top would be quite appropriate…

MommyWickedEdit

The show was beyond description. Ok, sure, I’m gushing, but I’ve never seen anything like it. The costumes, the sets, the lighting, the effects – everything was just amazing! And that’s not even mentioning the performances!

The leads on this leg of the tour were played by Marcia Dodd (Elphaba) and Helene Yorke (Glinda).

Helene_Yorke_and_Marcie_Dodd

I have to tell you – they were AMAZING! I’ve seen the “originals” playing the parts on TV (Kristen Chenowith as Glinda and Idina Menzel as Elphaba) and honestly, I like Marcia and Helene BETTER! Especially, Helene. Her version of Glinda was just incredible! I was laughing so hard at her during the “Makeover/Popular” scene.

heleneyorkeglinda

She had just the perfect take on that character. I loved it.

Both ladies gave amazing vocal performances. I have had the songs stuck in my head since we saw the show! In particular, I can’t get the song “Popular” out of my head! In fact, if I’m NOT singing it (which isn’t that often lately) Zack says, “Mommy, sing your Wicked song!”

So, I’m still reeling over how much I LOVED the show. I would absolutely go see it again given the chance! And I can’t wait to check out more Broadway shows coming to Des Moines!

Much love to my awesome hubby for giving me a WICKED AWESOME birthday present this year. ;)

*singing* “And even in your case…though it’s the toughest case I’ve yet to face…”

No comments:

Post a Comment