Monday, March 23, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dear Hubby

Ok, so Josh's birthday is OFFICIALLY tomorrow, but we had his birthday party this past week. (I still have some little things planned for tomorrow though since it's the real deal). He's turning 27 this year, and yes, for those of you keeping score, that makes him YOUNGER than me - by about a year and four months. Yes, he does continually remind of this fact and how much closer to 30 I am than he is... ;P

For those of you who know Josh, you know he loves burgers. He's a big fan. Well, he'd seen a hamburger and fries CAKE at a store and decided he wanted that for his birthday this year (usually he asks for a giant cookie WITH frosting). We also served up some mini-burgers (sliders) that turned out to be really tasty.

Of course, I couldn't leave it at just that. I had to expand on the idea. So that's what led to the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" birthday party this year - complete with paper tiki masks, shiny palm trees, and of course leis - along with large paper cheeseburgers hanging from the ceiling. ;) Yeah, ok, so I got excited!

The cakes were the best part. I can't take credit for making these ones though. I wanted to do the handiwork myself, but Josh talked me into saving myself some stress and buying them. It ended up being a really good idea because the boys and I came down with colds the week before the party. So here's the awesome cake, complete with "ketchup" and "mustard" (we actually ended up with TWO of them, to feed our large family ;) ) Then, of course, the decorations... (this is just a mild sampling)Zack and Austin were ready for the party. Zack picked out his lei ASAP, and Austin prepped by chewing on a rattle. (chewing is his favorite passtime these days).
Josh was a little more skeptical of the whole lei idea...
Jordan and Amber were excited for the festivities to start... and Jordan made sure he was properly decked out.
Josh thoroughly enjoyed his "fries" and "ketchup"
And we were so happy that John was able to make it home for the party. We tried to plan it to coincide with his leave from Iraq, but you never know when those flights will come in. We were so glad it worked out :) Of course, he had to fly halfway around the world that day to get there, and then Zack put him through a grueling light saber duel... so he was a little worn out by the end. ;)
It ended up being a great party, and a great time with family. Josh really enjoyed himself and that's the most important part. :) I just can't even say how much a love my husband and how much he means to me. I'm so blessed to have him in my life and I look forward to celebrating many, many more birthdays together.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! Great idea! Did you play the Veggie Tales "Cheeseburger" song for Josh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nikki! That is an awesome idea! I can't believe I never even thought of that! I'm enlisting your help for the next party! ;)

    ReplyDelete